Home Home About me Home tour Projects Photos Image Map

November 25, 2013

A kid friendly Christmas tree garland

                                  

We kinda just skipped Thanksgiving this year (but in our defense, we don't really decorate for that holiday anyways because we don't host it at our house). I'm just too excited for Christmas. Little Miss is finally old enough to really understand believe and participate. However, I'm also terrified of Little Mr. destroying the Christmas tree and opening all the presents early, but well get through that.


I want to keep the kids involved in everything I do Christmas wise (I mean come on, they even went Santa present shopping with me, they thought the toys were for their cousins). We made a traditional paper circle garland last year to hang in our entryway. This year I wanted to do something a little more creative and festive. 


This Christmas tree garland is perfect for the 3-5 age range. Little Mr. tried to help make the garland but mostly he just wanted to eat the supplies (sequins are pretty tempting, like glittery rice).  All the supplies you need are:
Whatever is in your craft area. Seriously we even used pieces of yarn. Construction paper worked best for Little Miss. 


Cut your construction paper in half before you start. Then decorate. I tried to show her how it becomes a tree so it should have ornaments on it and the such, but she didn't care. She went to town with the glitter glue and sequins. I also let her use my rubber glue and glitter, until she dumped the whole thing in her lap.

                                  

                                   

I decorated half and she did the rest. We stayed content for almost an hour (not the little one, he gave up That's pretty good for a three year old. She was really excited to use "mommys special glue" and put it on everything. We ran out of Elmer's and had to use my craft glue. If that's what it takes to get her to actually finish a craft, so be it. 




We used a lot of glue so we let ours dry overnight. I cut out the star toppers and let her glue them on the top once the trees were formed (just fold together into an almost triangle- which you can see took  me a few tries till I got it right). String em together and Tada! Christmas garland. 

                                   


We had a blast picking out our favorites. We all agreed it was the one that was completely covered in sequins (which I'm still sweeping up). This very cheap craft (I actually had everything on hand) is fun and easy to do. You could even write notes to Santa on each tree!! 


Wha fun craft are you planning on doing with your kids for the holiday season?

~Enjoy
xo Stacie

2 comments:

  1. Since my boys were about 2 and 4, every year we've made salt dough ornaments. When they were small I made the ornaments and then let them decorate them with whatever we had on hand, usually glue and glitter but also craft paint, spray paint, and markers. As they got older they started helping with the rolling out and cutting out parts, and last year they baked them for me :-) They're really too old now to want to give out little ornaments as gifts to everyone, so this year they're helping me make them into gift tags. Then I've gotten to craft with my kids and they don't have to be (too) embarrassed. It's apparently difficult to be way cooler than your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cute idea! I like turning them into gift tags! We made handprint ones with Little Miss when she was little, and hopefully will be able to add Little Mr. to the tree this year :) And your boys are too cute!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips