Home Home About me Home tour Projects Photos Image Map

September 30, 2013

Nutmeg Butter Balls




I want to start by apologizing for the lack of posts last week.  It was a little bit crazy in the Fluff household (I tried to blame the full moon, but that's only one night and well....yeah).  Things have calmed down finally (no not really, but the kids actually took a nap at the same time this weekend so I consider it a success).  How was your weekend? Did you get rained out? We did, but the kiddos took that in stride thankfully, and I was able to complete a couple of projects that were hanging over my head, including making cookies.

I'm a visual person in that I need to see a picture of the end result of a recipe.  So those awesome old school cookbooks with no pictures? Daunting.  But to be honest, finding a recipe to make my own on Pinterest was damn near impossible because everything has been done. Twice.  So I gave in and stole asked nicely to borrow my moms 1967 America's Best cookbook.  With no pictures.

no pictures :(
This thing has recipes from women all over the United States, its like a giant recipe Pinterest board!  I grew up making the cookies out of this book and so the choice to make cookies this weekend was pretty simple, especially since it rained all day Sunday.

The Nutmeg Butter Balls just called my name, 7 ingredients and balls (just me? I just like the simplicity of not having to perfect your cookie shape, and no you dirty minded people, it's not because of that).
These little guys took no time at all and clean up was super easy due to mixing everything in one bowl.



The recipe in the book actually calls for pecans, and I wrote pecans on my grocery list, but I came home with walnuts.  And I am glad I did.  I'm not a nut in cookie person but I like eating nuts (once again, I did not go there) and I've decided to expand my cookie palette.

First things first, I pull all my ingredients out (super fast since there's so little) and I go ahead and measure them out and put away what I don't use.  In regards to your walnuts, I just bought a 6 oz. pre-shelled bag and the recipe used almost the entire bag, but don't worry, I left no man behind and ate the rest.



Mix together your granulated sugar and butter until light and fluffy and then add in your walnuts (or pecans if you want to be all good and follow the directions) and vanilla.  Gradually add in your flour and once mixed well, chill for at least 30 minutes.

 
 


Preheat that oven of yours to 325 degrees F and lightly grease your baking sheet.

Using a ruler good eye, shape your balls into 1 1/4 inch balls and space about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 14-16 minutes.


Mix together your confectioners sugar and nutmeg.  While the balls (heehee) are still hot, roll them in the sugar nutmeg mix.



I, as a non-nut cookie eater, enjoyed the crap out of these cookies.  I even enjoyed the crap out of the batter and ate at least 2 (3) cookies worth before baking.  The hubs remarked that they reminded him a little of powdered donuts and I would have to agree.



Don't forget to pin this recipe so you can find it later (WITH a picture!!).



Enjoy~
xo Stacie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips